Melbourne is a great destination for families. There are plenty of kid-friendly attractions and lots to keep the whole family entertained. The city centre is compact so you don’t need to travel long distances to see the main sights.
Here are a few pointers for making the most of your family trip to Melbourne:
How to Get Around Melbourne with Kids in Tow
If little legs are liable to get tired from too much walking, you can make use of Melbourne’s excellent public transport system. The easiest way to get around is by tram. The network travels around the city centre and into outer suburbs too, with the central City Circle Tram route completely free to use. The route takes in many of Melbourne’s main attractions and departs every 12 minutes.
Family Friendly Accommodation options in Melbourne
Basing yourself in the centre of Melbourne is a good call if you want to be within easy reach of the city’s main attractions. Staying somewhere central also means you can head back to your accommodation if you need to regroup. Many hotels offer baby-friendly facilities and family rooms too.
However, you may be able to find a better deal if you look further afield. Websites like AirBnB advertise affordable accommodation that provides a home away from home for families. If you think having a kitchen and everyone having their own room is going to be more convenient, it’s definitely worth taking a look.
Activities to do with the Family in Melbourne
Many of Melbourne’s attractions offer discounted family tickets and reduced prices for children, with under-fives often going free. This means exploring the city is affordable as well as lots of fun.
Here are just a few of the attractions perfect for families:
- The Melbourne Museum offers plenty of interactive exhibitions. It’s the largest museum in the southern hemisphere and is also home to the IMAX Melbourne.
- The Melbourne Star Observation Wheel is located in the Docklands area of the city. The wheel takes you 40 floors high and offers panoramic views of Melbourne and beyond.
- SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium is home to crocodiles, elephant sharks, rays, penguins and lots of different fish species. It offers interactive animal encounters and interactive exhibits.
Melbourne Zoo allows you to get up close with even more incredible animals. The zoo is home to over 320 animal species including Australian wildlife such as kangaroos, wombats, emus and koalas.
- Old Melbourne Gaol, where Ned Kelly was once kept prisoner,is an atmospheric destination and one that children tend to love. The 19th century gaol is one of Melbourne’s oldest buildings and offers tours with lots of grisly tales along the way.
- Melbourne’s sporting venues are a must if your family are into cricket, football or tennis. Book ahead to get tickets to a game or match.
Venturing Out of Town
It would be a mistake to forget about the incredible destinations surrounding Melbourne on a trip to the city.
If you have the time to venture beyond the city limits, be sure to visit the Dandenongs, a range of hills not far from Melbourne. They’re the perfect place for family hikes, BBQs and picnics and you can also take a ride through the scenery on Puffing Billy, a 100 year old steam train.
Over on the Mornington Peninsula you can get lost in the Ashcombe Maze, go surfing at Point Leo or go swimming with seals. And at Phillip Island you can get to know the local penguin colony by watching their march back from the sea each day at sunset.
There’s so much to do and explore on a family trip to Melbourne. With a little planning, you’ll see the very best this exciting city and beautiful surrounding countryside has to offer.